Compassionate Legal Advocates With 30+ Years of Experience
When it comes to hiring the highest qualified Fort Lauderdale divorce lawyer, you certainly want to hire one that is going to fight for all of your rights under the law. Between alimony, spousal support, splitting assets, child custody, and visitation, there’s quite a bit to think about! Our reputable divorce attorneys at Stok Kon + Braverman have years of experience and can give you the personalized attention that your case deserves. We promise to listen, honestly assess the situation, and advise you of your legal options.
Whenever possible, our legal team attempts to resolve these matters through negotiation and mediation, however, our attorneys are not afraid to zealously advocate for you in the courtroom. Our experienced divorce attorneys are here to help guide you through this difficult time and help you decide on the best way to move forward, so please don’t hesitate to reach out to discuss your legal options.
Filing for Divorce in Florida
If you are involved in a divorce or considering initiating the process, then you need to be aware of the divorce laws that will impact your outcome.
The state of Florida is a no-fault divorce state. As such, there are only two grounds for divorce:
- Irreconcilable differences: When filing for divorce on the grounds of irreconcilable differences, you must only prove that a legitimate marriage existed and that the relationship can no longer work as a marriage. Other factors, such as adultery or abandonment, are not taken into consideration for the granting of a divorce. However, these circumstances may come into play for the determination of spousal support and the distribution of property.
- Mental incapacity: To dissolve your marriage based on mental incapacity, you must present documentation and testimony by two or more psychiatrists who assert that your spouse’s condition is incurable and with no hopes of future recovery. This ground is rarely used because of the availability of a divorce involving irreconcilable differences.
Once a ground for divorce is established, your divorce attorney can file a petition in circuit court on your behalf. Your spouse is afforded 20 days to file an answer and/or counter-complaint. Failure to do so can result in a default judgment for divorce. If your spouse does not contest your allegations, the court can schedule a hearing for a simplified divorce hearing. However, this is only allowed if both parties are in agreement about all issues of custody and distribution of property. They must also prove willing to give up their right to file an appeal later.
How Can We Help You?
Division Of Marital Assets
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING DIVORCE PROCEEDINGS
To determine whether spousal support is proper in your situation, as well as the appropriate amount, the court will take into consideration several different factors, including:
- The standard of living that the parties established throughout the marriage
- How long the marriage lasted
- The age of the parties
- The physical and emotional well being of each party
- The marital and nonmarital assets and liabilities of each party
- The earning capacity of each spouse, which is determined by education level,
vocational skills, work experience, and time out of the workforce
- The contribution of each party to the marriage, such as homemaking, care
for minor children, education, and assistance given to the other party
for career building
- The retirement assets of each party
- The tax treatment consequences to both parties in the case of an alimony award
- All sources of income available to either party
- Any other factor necessary to promote fairness
The other financial factor of a divorce is the distribution of property. The court considers many of the same factors as used for spousal support. In addition, you may need to present evidence that shows how and when the property was accumulated. For example, a house purchased during the marriage with joint funds is considered marital property.
OUR FULL-SERVICE LAW FIRM IS READY TO ASSIST YOU
Reach out to our dedicated team of attorneys for legal solutions tailored to your unique goals.
PILLARS OF OUR PRACTICE
A Team of Experienced Problem Solvers
Our large team of attorneys has a collective amount of unique experience that has often helped us turn losing situations into winning results on more occasions.
Solutions Fit to Your Goals
Wide Range of Legal Services
Large Firm Resources. Boutique Firm Service.
Our team of attorneys is dedicated to providing the same personalized attention to each client you would expect at a smaller boutique firm, while still getting the experience and resources of a large firm at your disposal.
WHY CLIENTS IN FORT LAUDERDALE CHOOSE STOK KON + BRAVERMAN
Clients across Southern Florida turn to our law firm because we provide:
Compassionate Representation: We understand the emotional and complicated time you are going through.
Our goal is to take care of the legal issues so that you can focus on
what matters, your family.
Personalized, Client-Focused Service: Delivieirng high-quality personalized legal service is our top priority
because we know it’s what our clients deserve. Our team of family
law and divorce attorneys will strive to meet all of your legal needs
and make a point to respond to all communication with prompt and supportive answers.
Cutting Edge Technology: We pride ourselves on keeping up with the latest technological advancements
that aid in our clients’ cases. We utilize the latest software and
scanning devices to handle our cases more efficiently and effectively.
All of our files are scanned and securely entered into our computer system,
which makes information readily available to us at all times. While other
divorce attorneys may have to go to storage facilities and sift through
boxes and boxes of paperwork, we can pull up a file from any of our cases
with the touch of a button.
GET HELP FROM OUR EXPERIENCED DIVORCE ATTORNEYS SERVING BROWARD COUNTY
If you are getting divorced or are considering filing for divorce, then please come in for a consultation to sit down with one of our attorneys to discuss your situation. We will take the time to get to know you and understand the unique issues you are facing. You are more than just a number to us, and you’ll see that in the way that we will dedicate ourselves to your case.